Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 22, 2015

EdCampRome

Yesterday I had the opportunity to present at our local EdCamp.  This was my first experience with an edcamp and did not really know what to expect.  I really had planned to go in and just attend sessions and learn, but as the morning went on I realized that I had information to offer others.  I was really nervous about presenting to people I did not know.  I present to my faculty and staff every month but to present to people I did not know and who could "vote with their feet" I was a little nervous.  Needless to say the room was standing room only, people were sitting on the floor  and lined against the wall.  The session I presented was about "Including Technology in your lessons".  I began the session my explaining to everyone why I decided to present.  I always hear people say,"I think I am going to check the Ipads out or go to the computer lab and the let kids play a game." When I hear this I cringe.  Yes, letting kids play games for reinforcement of a skill is fine, but the main idea behind technology is to enhance a lesson. So below I will try to explain and show what I presented in my session.
Pic Collage is an Itunes app but I am sure there are other versions for android users.  This is a photo app that allows you to add a number of photos with text. I use Pic Collage a great deal with my first graders.  One project we recently did was about parts of a plant.  The students had to take pictures of parts of a plant and label them.  We also used this app for the 100th day of school.  The students took a selfie and then had to finish this sentence frame "I am 100 days smarter because. . ."  


Educreations is also and app but also a web based program.  There are lots of similar apps out there like Explain Everything. These programs allow you to record what you are doing on a white board type screen.  I have used this an number of different ways. I have had the students record themselves explaining a math problem or even skip counting.  The most recent project we did was on our field trip to the Etowha Indian Mounds. The students had to have at least 4 slides (First, next, then and last).  They were to tell me what they did first, next, then and last on our trip.  Below is an example.    

This is not only an app but a web based program also.  You select an image and then add hot spots.  When you add a hot spot you have the option of adding text, video, pictures, or a link to another website.  There are endless opportunities to use this in the classroom. My first graders used this to create their Black History month project.  


I also introduced you to the I pad app NearPod.  Nearpod allows teachers to construct presentations using the Nearpod website and deliver instruction to students by pushing content out to multiple devices at once. The teacher controls the presentation from a master iOS device, while students follow along on a class set of iPods or iPads. Nearpod also has a library or store where you can search for lessons already created by other educators. You can also watch this short video on what all Nearpod can do.  Just click the picture below and choose the play button in the circle. 

I hope these ideas have been helpful.  I am always looking for ways to include technology in my lessons, so as I learn new ideas I will share them with you.  


And guess what!!!! No one walked out! (of my session)

No comments:

Post a Comment